Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Using Ground Penetrating Radar to find sink holes in HCMC

From time to time, in my line of work, I have to find words that pertain to my field that I can't find in the dictionary.  I can usually work around these terms when doing my job, but it is pretty interesting that when I read the word in the paper, I know exactly what it is.

This is the case with the word "Ground Penetrating Radar".  Clearly not a word you would see every day and without even looking, I am pretty sure that it isn't in my English to Vietnamese dicitionary.  Of course, I can explain what it is in Vietnamese, but I sure didn't know where to begin in finding the real name for it.

So, I was reading the Tuoi Tre Paper today and saw the headline "Dùng địa bức xạ để tìm "hố tử thần".  Translated easily to "Use ground radar to find 'death craters'".  Saigon has had some serious trouble in the not too distant past with vehicle falling into sink holes.  It happens often enough that they have elected to conduct surveys of the road systems in the area to look for these death traps.

I won't translate the article here, though I will post the text of the article.  The point is, I found the word for Ground Penetrating Radar in Vietnamese for the next time I need to use it... if I don't forget.

--------
http://tuoitre.vn//Giao-duc/Khoa-hoc/415890/Dung-dia-buc-xa-tim-“ho-tu-than”.html
--------
Thứ Tư, 15/12/2010, 05:39 (GMT+7)
Dùng địa bức xạ tìm “hố tử thần
TT - Ngày 14-12, Sở Khoa học - công nghệ TP.HCM và Sở Giao thông vận tải TP đã tổ chức hội thảo ứng dụng phương pháp địa bức xạ để phát hiện “hố tử thần” ở TP.HCM. Tiến sĩ Vũ Văn Bằng - phó viện trưởng Viện công nghệ nước và môi trường thuộc Liên hiệp các hội khoa học kỹ thuật VN, người đã chế tạo máy sử dụng địa bức xạ để dò tìm các vị trí lỗ hổng trong lòng đất và xác định các công trình ngầm trong đất - đã giới thiệu phương pháp trên để tìm “hố tử thần”.
Ngay sau hội thảo, cùng với cán bộ các sở ngành đi thực địa, tiến sĩ Vũ Văn Bằng sử dụng máy địa bức xạ đã xác định được 10 vị trí có khả năng có “hố tử thần”. Sở Giao thông vận tải TP cho biết dự kiến ngày 16 và 17-12 sẽ tổ chức đào thăm dò vị trí “hố tử thần” gồm vòng xoay Hòa Bình, vòng xoay công trường Dân Chủ và giao lộ Phó Cơ Điều- Ba Tháng Hai mà máy địa bức xạ đã xác định.
N.ẨN

No comments:

Post a Comment